I was born to Anita Voges Haag and John Walter Haag on February  14, 1944.  Both parents are of full-blooded German
decent.  Most of our ancestors came to the Davenport/ Bulverde/ New Braunfels area in the 1850's and 60's.  I on the other
hand was born in a small town by the name of Luxello, Texas.  Luxello is located near IH 35 between New Braunfels and San
Antonio.  In fact, the Cibolo Creek runs along the side of it.  When I was three, we moved across the creek to a farm near
Selma, which is where I lived until I started teaching.  Clarence Scheel is one of the other musical hosts on this show. The
ironic thing is that his father bought the farm in Luxello from my parents when we moved to the farm near Selma.  Clarence's
Uncle Bernard had a band called "Herr Louie and his Old-Time Band" who played at the Luxello hall along with my Uncle Hilmar
Voges' band called the "Village Band".  It's a small world. Isn't it?
My father still collected money for the dancers at the old Luxello dance hall after we moved and I always went along to either
spend my time running around collecting bottles to 'sell' to the bartender or sleeping next to the stage while absorbing the music
that the bands would play.  Spending a lot of time there, I even learned how to dance.  I remember like it was yesterday.  The
girl who taught me let me lead.  I had watched quite a few dancers before so I marched her backwards as I went forward. And I
just happened to be smooth enough to never let the moment come up to have to turn around.  We also stayed on the outside of
the dance floor so as not to interfere with the real dancers.Â
That was not the only place my parents took me, for my parents took me along everywhere they went.  Therefore I was exposed
to many different bands and types of music.  We attended lots of festivals, weddings, anniversaries, parades, and even a
marching band festival called the "Battle of the Bands"Â  This was always the night before the Battle of Flowers parade in San
Antonio. Dance bands and marching bands always fascinated me.  In 1949, my older brother Melford, who's prominent
instrument is accordion, helped start the "Hi-Topper's Orchestra".  In 1952 he and another musician started the "Cloverleaf
Orchestra". Being the music loving and supportive family that we were, we attended many of their dances. This is how I was
exposed to the traveling band phenomena early in life.  Phenomena such as flat tires, forgetting something important like
music stands, etc.   We had a lot of good times traveling with the bands and we met a lot of people.  In fact, I will never forget
when Darvin Dietert, the tuba player, let me blow on his big brass horn at a practice when I was about six years old.
When I was ready to start school at Selma Public School, my parents taught me the English language, which happened to
out to be a good thing because my first grade teacher did not speak my native language; German.  Believe it or not, back
the school was separated into two sections.  There were only two teachers for the entire school, so first through third
were together and fourth through sixth grades were together.  Since I went to a country school, there was no music or
being offered, so mom would drive me fourteen miles to New Braunfels every Saturday for private lessons on the
trumpet.  I
really wanted to play Clarinet, but my brother assured my parents that a trumpet player could always find a band to play
with, unlike a Clarinet player.  Finally, in the seventh grade, I went to North East Jr. High where they taught seventh through
ninth grade. They had a huge band in school and they even marched at football games.  I made 1st chair, 3rd trumpet and
was quite proud.  I changed to three different schools and had seven different band directors before I graduated from high
school.  The event of having many different band directors gave me quite a broad spectrum of musical experiences. We
through the typical high school polka band thing, calling ourselves "The Polka Dots" and we won a Coca-Cola talent
contest in
San Antonio. When I was 16, I played my very first money paying "job" which paid $2, I think.  It was with the Paul Barsh
playing second trumpet to Max Richter, who was a well-respected musician, teacher, director, and composer in the New
Braunfels area.
I received a band scholarship to SouthwestTexasUniversity in San Marcos and started to major in Electrical Engineering.  
When band rehearsals started that fall I was thrilled to be 1st chair, 3rd Trumpet.  I eventually became first chair after a couple
of years. In
 sophmore year, the Cuban Missile Crisis happened and I enlisted in the 36th Division National Guard Band
stationed in New Braunfels.  I was lucky because I was not alone.  My brother Melford was a member of the band plus I knew
some of the other guys. Fort Polk, Louisiana is where I did my basic training and I stayed there to play with their post band for six
months.  While in the Army Band I learned how to play saxophone. We played many Pass-In-Reviews and I played taps at a lot
of military funerals.  In later years I was to become First Sergeant of the Texas National Guard Band with my Schertz-Cibolo
(now called Samuel Clemens High School) 12th grade band director who became my Commanding Officer.
When I came back to college, I changed my major to music and later received a degree in Music Education.  While in college, I
played with several different musical groups, both performance and dance.  I also helped start a little six-piece ballroom dance
band with which I played until I joined the "Hi-Toppers Orchestra".  With the Hi-Toppers I played mostly trumpet, clarinet, and
saxophone. I also started singing with them, which was a new experience for me.  Next thing I knew the Hi-Toppers asked me
to arrange music for them.  I had been arranging music since I was in high school and now the Hi-Toppers were paying me to
write for them.  This was big stuff and we played a great number of jobs in those days so I had a chance to write quite a few
arrangements.  This was a real learning experience that not every average Joe gets.
After college, I started teaching in Karnes City, a small school with two band directors, and I thoroughly enjoyed the small-town
interaction and mutual respect.  In 1969, the day they landed on the moon, I married Theresa Bohac, also a musician and
fellow college music major.  Her primary instrument is accordion and mine is trumpet, which is quite ironic and a long story,
but she majored on Tenor Saxophone and I on Alto Saxophone.  Theresa comes from a small town northeast of Austin called
Granger.  She was in a band as well; a family band to be exact.  It consisted of her two sisters and their brother and it was
called "The Bohac Sisters".  They played all over Texas for many years and also traveled to Chicago for a Lion's Club
Convention. We both taught in Karnes City a year and while living there, we helped start "The Litt'l Fishermen Orchestra" with
Larry Schuenemann from Corpus Christi as a partner.  We had a nine-member band that traveled up to 200 miles away on
weekends to play dance jobs.  We took three tours up north playing in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota.
In 1970 Theresa and I were offered teaching jobs in New  Braunfels, so we picked up and moved.  After teaching in New   
Braunfels for a while we started a family. We have two sons and a daughter, all of whom play instruments and sing.  We have a
little family group called "The Village Family Band".  We only play about 2 to 3 jobs a year with this group for the kids all have
their own families as well as other interests.
"The Bohemian Dutchmen" came about in 1978 when we decided that the demand for a big band was low.  Because of price
and/or space, many people did not want to hire a nine-piece band such as "The Litt'l Fishermen" so we started the six-piece
group. The name comes from Theresa being 75% Czech heritage and Roy is 100% German heritage, consequently being the
"Bohemian Dutchmen".  The Czech-Germans just didn't sound right. I hope you agree.
I later went back to college to get my Master's degree in arranging at SouthwestTexasUniversity and finished the degree in
1982.  I had the privilege of working under three fantastic professors who taught me a lot about arranging music.
1985 came along and some friends and I started a European brass band called "The New Braunfels Village Brass Band".  The
band currently consists of approximately 35 members strong, traveling from a radius of about 100 miles to New Braunfels and I
am proud to be their musical director.  This group plays primarily instrumental polkas, waltzes, and marches.  I always tell
them "you're not playing good enough unless you give me goose bumps".
In 1995 we started the "Polka Band Leaders of New Braunfels" which is made up of 9 local polka band leaders.  In addition to
putting on a two-day polka fest in February, the group also sends out a collective schedule of where it's member bands are
playing.  The group also sponsors and maintains a web site at:
For the past four years I was the producer and part time musical host for the New Braunfels weekly "Musical Journey Show" also
called the "German Show".  After 52 years of being on the air, the radio station management decided to cancel the show.  No
one gave us a reason, but it could not be a cost reducing measure because we did our own sponsorship and we had our own
recording studio.  We were not going to give up that easy, so this web site is the result of their action.  This opens many more
doors for us, but closes the door on a few as well.Â
For information about the different musical groups in which I am involved please refer to the polka leaders web site. For anyone
who is interested, I also sell records, cassettes, and CD's of various types.  For a partial list of what's available please write to:
RoHa Enterprises/ Recordings
1334 Rivercrest Dr.
New Braunfels,
TX 78130-3438